Health and Fitness

Monday 21 July 2014

How to Cope With a Diagnosis of Diabetes

from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
A diagnosis of diabetes is scary and can be life changing. Now that you know you have diabetes, you have to figure out what to do next, where to go for information and for help.

Steps

First things first
  1. Don't blame yourself. Maybe you could have changed things in the past, but nothing can be changed now. Blaming yourself will not help anything.
  2. Trust your health care team to know how to help you and do what they tell you to do.
  3. You are not alone, approximately 20 million Americans have this disease too.
  4. Start slowly, you have a lot to assimilate and learn, if you try to do too much too fast you may feel overwhelmed.
  5. Find out everything you can about diabetes. Knowledge is power.
  6. Talk about your disease.
  7. Ask questions...and then ask more questions.
  8. Take care of yourself. Diabetes can be a serious disease, but does not need to be debilitating.
Things to do right away
  1. Call your insurance company to find out exactly what they will cover and how often. Most insurance companies cover at least some of the cost of diabetic supplies and medication.
  2. You will probably need a blood glucose meter and test strips, a lancet device and lancets.
  3. You will want to record your blood glucose every time you take it, you can do this in a small notebook.
  4. If your insurance will cover it and your doctor suggests it, make an appointment to see a dietitian.
  5. Let your family and friends know, they will also need to know how treat you if there is an emergency.
  6. Write down any questions you may want to ask your health care team.
Questions to ask your doctor
  1. Do I have type 1 or 2 diabetes?
  2. What is my A1c reading?
  3. How often should I check my blood glucose?
  4. What should my target blood glucose be?
  5. How often do I need to see a doctor?
  6. What diet should I follow?
  7. Should I see a dietitian?
  8. How often should I eat?
  9. Do I have any damage to my organs or nerves?
  10. What medications do I need to take and what do they do?
  11. What side effects do I need to be aware of?
  12. How often and what type of exercise should I do?

Related wikiHows

Sources and Citations

Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Cope With a Diagnosis of Diabetes. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.


Live with Diabetes Successfully

No comments:

Post a Comment